I've had interactions with people where I truly experienced something magical, where at times I've recognized something in them that exuded divine energy.
For example, a charming crone woman named Mary used to care for my brother and I occassionally. Each time we knew she was coming to our house to look after us we asked her to bring her VHS copy of the movie "Bear." Another ritual that became part of her visits was my asking her to let down her hair ("Rapunzel! Rapunzel!"). I can still remember the first time I saw Mary's real hair. She wore a short, typical, curled wig like many a crone I met as a child. When she revealed to me it wasn't her real hair I asked her if I could see it. I practically had to beg her to show me, so eventually, she did. She removed her curly accessory, and revealed a braided bun, bobby-pinned down tightly. (In retrospect it looked difficult to get it just right to fit into her wig.) When she let down her hair it was such a brilliant sight to behold. My exact words were, "You have unicorn hair! You should always wear it down, it's beautiful!" I loved Mary's hair so much. I remember wishing out loud that my hair could be like hers someday. It was the longest, brightest white hair I'd ever seen, and it really did sparkle. I learned recently that Mary moved to one of the Carolinas, and to learn she's still kickin' really warmed my heart. Magical Mary of the unicorn hair, so bright like goddess Holle.
In recent years I met the mother of my fiancé's half brother, who wears her beautiful unicorn hair down...and her name so happens to be Holly. ❄
Recently while working at the bookstore I met an eccentric man who claimed to be a homeless preacher. He wore an extravagant faux fur scarf, a wide brimmed hat, and a fabulous glitter nail polish in shades of blue and purple. He had a limp, so he walked with a cane, and when we made eye contact I noticed he had icy blue eyes, one of which looked like a glass eye. When I noted that mentally I thought of Odin! At one point he asked for cardboard to protect the art prints I sold to him. He proceeded to take out his knife to cut the cardboard into the proper size and shape. He stated aloud, "Most people act all scared when I use my blade, but not you." I found my indifference surprising as well, since I'm normally hyper-vigilant. I trusted I knew his intentions for drawing his knife, and that saved me from experiencing fear. He had that strangely familiar, curious presence to him that I sense when one of the all-father's ravens are near. 💅
Have you ever met someone who reminded you of a deity, or had some magical mysteriousness about them? Let me know in the comments below!
No comments:
Post a Comment